Nowadays success in science involves publishing articles in international journals in English. The English you learned at school is not sufficient; you need to master the formal English required for scientific and academic texts. The objective of this workshop is to improve your ability to produce clear, precise and readable academic texts.
Students of Mainz University with a language proficiency level minimum C1 (CEFR).
We will look at:
- Conventions and features of academic writing
- Improving coherence and flow
- Avoiding common lexical and grammatical errors
- Editing and improving your drafts
- Punctuation, remedial grammar (if necessary)
- Useful phrases
You will leave the workshop with a ”toolboxâ for scientific/academic writing and a phrase bank of useful expressions.
The workshop includes preparation work (e.g. reading, exercises), which you will be sent two weeks beforehand.