|Dieses Angebot findet auf Englisch statt|
This workshop covers the specific requirements of writing and publishing scholarly research articles in English. Through a mix of lectures and exercises, participants learn the process of writing and getting published from the first steps of considering a publishing venue; through drafting, revising, and polishing the text; to communicating with editors and dealing with reviews.
Target Audience, Number of Participants:
Doctoral Candidates of JGU Mainz in the last year of their doctorate and Postdocs;
Language level: C1;
Maximum Number of Participants: 12
After successful participation in the workshop, participants will know how to
- choose the best journal for their current work
- properly structure their article and its various sections for maximum clarity
- best present their data or evidence
- craft sensible, easy-to-read paragraphs
- use English tenses correctly according to their nuances
- decide when to use active or passive voice
- revise sentences using practical and easy-to-understand revision strategies
- apply tips on creating more clarity, cohesion and conciseness
- punctuate properly
- craft an attention-getting yet appropriate abstract and title
- write successful submission and revision letters to editors
- deal professionally with reviews and revisions
Technology and preparation
Participants are invited to submit no later than one full week ahead of the course an unpublished abstract for a journal article and half a page from the same article. These will be exchanged with other participants for analysis during class, using the techniques they learn during the workshop.
Day, Time and Venue
Monday, September 6th, Tuesday, September 7th and Wednesday September 8th 2021, 1:30 – 6:00 p.m.
The workshop will take place via Zoom.
This workshop is offered by the General Doctoral College (APK).